Thursday, October 28, 2010

Whole Wheat, Chocolate Chip, Buttermilk Pancakes with Fruit Topping!

Last Friday I made some super tasty pancakes for the apartment and made them from scratch. Back home, my family makes them from scratch and I wanted to share the joy that is homemade pancakes. We used whole wheat flour to be a bit healthier.

Ingredients:
2 eggs

1/2 c. vegetable oil
2c. milk + 2tbs vinegar (for the "buttermilk", or you can use real buttermilk)
2tbs sugar
2c whole wheat flour
1tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt

Beat eggs. Add oil and buttermilk and beat slightly. Add dry ingredients. Mix well. If the batter is too thick for your taste, add milk a tsp at a time. Don't let it get too thin, though. Better to have the first couple pancakes too thick then too runny. If you like a bit sweeter taste, you can add a tsp of vanilla. I sometimes also like to add a little cinnamon.

Pour pancake batter in small circles onto a greased heated griddle (medium-high heat). Everyone seemed shocked that I didn't use a measuring spoon to do this and instead poured it right from the mixing bowl. What can I say, I'm talented like that. ;) That's how I learned it. It's easy to make your pancakes whatever size you want it then!

While the cakes are on the griddle (hehe, I always wanted to say that), drop a handful or two of semi-sweet chocolate chips into your "puddle" o' pancake. To check whether the pancakes are ready to flip, wait for the edges to look a little formed; sometimes little bubbles form, too, and then you just wait for most of the bubbles to pop!

Dee made the fruit topping with some leftover blueberries, peaches, and strawberries! mmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment